The Oswego Public Library District exists to provide quality library service which will effectively meet the informational, educational, and recreational needs of district residents of all ages, with special emphasis on supplying popular materials, providing reference service, and assisting students of all ages in meeting their educational needs.
History of the Library
- In 1899 the Nineteenth Century Woman's Club started with a market basket full of books that was carried to each meeting.
- In 1928 the Rank building was donated to the Village and used as the Library.
- In 1964 the Oswego Township Library was formed. The whole community worked to raise the $35,000 needed to build on the current site by holding bake sales, broom sales, garden walks, festivals and such.
- In 1977 the Oswego Public Library District was created to serve residents of Montgomery, Oswego, Plainfield, and Bristol and Wheatland Townships. Additions were added in 1981 and 1997.
- In 2006 a library bond issue was passed for a new library building on Route 30 and the remodel of the Oswego campus. In August of 2009, the Montgomery Campus, located at 1111 Reading Drive opened. The Oswego Campus was renovated and reopened in May, 2010.
- Since opening the Montgomery Campus in 2009, our patron base has increased from 47,888 to 62,439 patrons, with the Library circulating over 1 million items annually. In order to meet the needs of our expanding patron base, the Board of Trustees approved the expansion/renovation of the Oswego Campus in 2015.